April 07, 2011

The evolution of my addiction

I remember my first time using it. It was 2006 and I went to visit my friend Vincent, who had recently moved from Luther, Mich. to the fast life in Chicago. Everyone in Chicago was using it – it was full of color, memories, friends and expression. Vincent called it a “revolution,” and I was yearning to be a part of it. He warned me it would become addictive; I told him I don’t have an addictive personality and not to worry. I was wrong.

I’m Jamie and I’m a socialholic.

Since my exposure to MySpace during my trip to Chicago, I’ve grown to crave more social media stimuli. MySpace was the gateway to Facebook, which became my site of choice for the majority of my college years. I heard some people were experimenting with Twitter at the time, but I thought of it as a downgraded Facebook status update.

When I was on Facebook, it was like I was a different person. I was free to write whatever I felt. Everyone was using it, but some people, including me, used it too often. I began to notice changes in my life due to my obsession. My relationship ended, my grades began slipping and the happiest part of my day was seeing how many notifications I received.

Since then, my social media addiction has intensified. At Eisbrenner Public Relations, I met Holly, the social media rock star. She told me about all sorts of sites like Linkedin, Flickr, foursquare and Twitter. Turns out, the reason Twitter wasn’t fulfilling my cravings back in college was because I wasn’t using it properly. It’s more than a status update, Twitter’s about engaging with people and now it’s the place I go for news, job opportunities and entertainment.

Usually, I anticipate using Twitter for a few minutes. The next thing I know, two hours have gone by and I’m compulsively retweeting, making new connections and engaging in all sorts of conversations. I can’t go without using social media for too long. If I do, I feel disconnected from the world. Thankfully, I can tweet, update my location on foursquare and change my Facebook status from my phone.

Social media truly is a revolution, especially for public relations professionals. It’s a way to get our ideas into the world, free of cost. What started as a means for personal expression developed into a new realm of communication where people share their stories and promote interaction. Social media has already made a dramatic transformation in the last five years and I can’t wait to see where it will be in the next five.

Are you as infatuated with social media as I am? Follow my Twitter handle @JamieLMaynard. I can’t wait to get some conversation flowing!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg Melvin said...

Hello. I’m Greg and I, too, am a socialholic. (Chorus) Hi, Greg. I’m a daily user. But, I'm proud to say, I’ve been clean for over four minutes (Blogger doesn’t count, right?).

I was in denial at first, I admit. “I don’t need to check my status right now. I can stop using if I want to – I just don’t want to, that’s all.” It started with Facebook. Then Twitter. Then, well, it’s kind of a blur after that. I was hooked and kept turning to harder and harder networks with each passing day.

I was in deep, always on the lookout for my next fix. I soon found that even push notifications failed to bring me the goods - comments, likes, retweets - as quickly as I was consuming them. I burned through the networks on Brian Solis’ Conversation Prism like a pill-poppin’ fiend (the prism looks more like a pill dispenser, if you ask me). Through the magic of Hootsuite, I even started mixing my networks together and taking them in one dose, a potent drug cocktail for a digital junkie.

Thank you, Jamie, for your bravery in making this issue a part of our social discourse. Too long have we socialholics been forced to suffer our addiction in silence.

And to those who fail to see the seriousness of this problem, who fail to see a correlation between addiction and social networking sites, who fail to see that the best minds of our generation are being destroyed by social media madness, starving hysterical naked, looking for an angry fix….I have one word for you: #winning.

4/07/2011 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home