June 03, 2010

Transparency

Transparency.

This word has received a lot of attention lately. Though, it hasn’t been so much about who is using it, but who hasn’t. From the recent sentencing of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to the controversy surrounding the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a lack of transparency may partially be to blame for creating bad reputations.

These cases and many others are creating a demand for transparency among businesses and organizations of every size. This thinking is establishing an environment of accountability and is encouraging open communication between all invested stakeholders, which in turn is creating a more honest, open approach to business practices. At the 2010 Public Relations Society of America Michigan Conference, Peter Shankman even said, “Transparency has become the new pink!”

I’ve learned this whole transparent train-of-thought can easily transfer to my day-to-day activities as I take on new projects at Eisbrenner Public Relations. In the short time I’ve been here, I’ve already found that open communication is vital to my team’s success. The dialogue between my teammates and I upon receiving an assignment must include the logistics (who, what, where, when and how) and also the obstacles I may need to overcome. Whether these obstacles include a timing conflict or difficulty comprehending something, they must all be addressed. Ultimately, a transparent discussion helps efficiently produce something everyone can be proud of.

As I continue my internship, I aim to carry this lesson out on a daily basis. I also pledge the counsel I provide to my clients and bosses during my entire career will reflect this lesson of transparency.

Do you have any life lessons or stories to share about transparency, or maybe some helpful articles?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home