November 05, 2009

So, what is it PR students plan to do with their degree?

I can remember the first time someone asked me what people do in public relations. It felt like an eternity before I spoke. I fumbled my way through a definition that was barely understandable, and then quickly asked, “what do you plan to do with your degree?”

As a student at Wayne State, I didn’t have a firm grasp on what PR practitioners did. Like a high school athlete dreams of going pro, I was a college student focused on being the president’s speechwriter. I’m confident I wasn’t the only one with a misunderstanding of the PR profession. In fact, some of the most popular sessions at the Public Relations Student Society of America 2008 National Conference were on event planning and working with celebrities. This year’s conference has even added sessions in fashion and entertainment.

For some, telling a student that PR isn’t just event planning is like telling a child there is no Santa Claus. The same thing is happening today with social media. Students are hoping if they play with Facebook and Twitter long enough, they might become the director of new media of a large company.

I believe the problem with this perspective is it misses the point of public relations altogether. Speechwriting, new media and event planning are very important aspects of public relations, but they are only pieces to the puzzle. Everyday my understanding of what a PR practitioner does is challenged and reshaped, which is partially why I’ve had such trouble explaining public relations in an elevator speech.

One thing I’ve learned is whatever PR students plan to do with their degree; it has to be flexible enough to include the changing environment of communication.

What was your first understanding of public relations? How has it changed?

In my next post, I will make an attempt at creating my public relations elevator speech.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Rachel Esterline said...

My grandmother thought that being in PR meant that I was going into politics. She kept telling people that I was going to be president.

It took me awhile before I had a firm grasp on what PR really was though. I knew it involved writing and I loved writing.

Now I tell people that I work with businesses to influence people's opinions about them though working with the media and using other tools like social media.

I always tell people that there are many different things you can do with a degree in PR and that's why it's such a great degree. It makes me a great communicator, and communication is key in anything you do.

Great post!

11/05/2009 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father said my degree in PR was my BA in BS!
Now it means that I struggle to find a job in Michigan!

11/06/2009 10:42 AM  
Blogger Jrdbryan said...

Rachel - Some of my family members think I make brochures.

Most of the time I end up explaining with an example, and they take that one concept and think that is what I do everyday.

I want to get a clear and concise explanation together that will clarify it for them.

I like your defintion, but I feel like that only describes a portion of the big picture. I'll let you know when my next post is up, and maybe you can help me work toward a solid elevator speech.

Thanks for the comment!

11/09/2009 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home