October 08, 2009

Whistle while you work

When I was young, I remember hearing the phrase “work isn’t meant to be fun.” I dreaded my math homework, hated cutting the grass and despised taking out the garbage. For me these simple tasks took away from the time that was meant for my enjoyment.

I told my parents that one day my job would be fun. I’d be an actor or an author, completely immersed in a fanciful world known only to my imagination. I’m not sure where those dreams disappeared to, but one thing is certain – the desire to have fun at work never left.

I’ve held many jobs, but none quite like this one. Each person at Eisbrenner seems to have a natural happiness that carries over into everything they do. Whether, it’s Schanel singing the Sound of Music, Christine declaring it love song Thursday, Michael quoting The Office or the team brainstorming Halloween costume ideas at lunch, there is not a day that passes where I don’t enjoy being at work.

Aristotle said, “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.” This phrase seems to summarize life at Eisbrenner.

Maybe I’m an idealist, but isn’t work meant to be fun?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alice Collins said...

Consider yourself lucky! A wise man (my Dad) always told me that if you are doing what you enjoy and having fun, then it's never going to be work. I've had a lot of jobs myself and the ones I've enjoyed the most are when I was with people (be it coworkers or clients) that I enjoyed.

10/08/2009 2:38 PM  
Blogger Jrdbryan said...

Thanks, Alice. I do consider myself lucky. I hadn't really thought about something I love not being work. That's a great perspective. Your father was wise indeed!

10/08/2009 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home