October 22, 2009

The 3r’s of Resume Writing: Readability, Relevancy, Results

If you’re anything like me, your life is a whirlwind of random jobs, organizations and projects. You’ve collected enough trophies, ribbons and certificates to cover your bedroom walls and you feel like the only thing between you and an internship or job is a white piece of paper employers call a resume.

The problem I struggle with is narrowing the whirlwind of my life into a neat portrait of ideas. While preparing to apply for Eisbrenner, I compiled a list of questions to ask myself to make sure my resume is clean, concise and impressive. Here are a few of the questions I developed.


Is it relevant?

Relevancy is as important to your resume as it is a press release. My resume was filled with items from high school and early college that were dead weight, including jobs that weren’t relevant to public relations. They didn’t hurt me, but they certainly weren’t helping either.

Is it easy to read?

Visual appeal speaks volumes. Headings, bullet points and proper tabbing help to make reading your resume much easier. I broke my resume down by experience, professional development, honors/awards and education, and used bullet points to list skills and accomplishments.

Is it adapted to the audience?

Public relations has a lot to do with understanding your audience, and so should your resume. Do some research and get to know the company and person to whom you’re applying. Eisbrenner had a list of resume and interview tips I received on an agency visit that I used to tailor my resume and prepare for the interview.

Is it results driven?

This was one of the hardest questions to answer. I provided numbers where it was possible, and made sure to use verbs to describe my responsibilities. At first I wanted everything to have a number, but eventually I realized quality is just as important as quantity. Sometimes it’s not about the number of press releases you have written, but the news article or interview that came as a result.

What are you doing to have the perfect resume? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home