September 24, 2009

ACRONYM: Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning

You may have read that title twice. I sure did. I found it alongside a dozen others at acronymfinder.com. Acronyms are truly a language of their own. I remember being extremely confused the first time I used AIM. It took my friends explaining the meanings of LOL, BRB and TTYL for me to finally understand it.

As I work on projects at my internship, I’ve discovered I have some language learning to do. No, it’s not Spanish, but it’s just as challenging. You’d think living in Metro Detroit would make reading Auto Tech Daily and Autobeat Daily a little easier; however, the auto industry seems to have a language of its own.

Consider this sentence.

Today, CNN reported CARS is partnering with the CAR on a study to be released at the 2009 NAIAS about the clunkers CAFE.

Now read the same sentence this way:

Today, the Calling Number Node reported the Cable-Television Relay Service is partnering with the Center for Applied Research on a study to be released at the 2009 North American International Auto Show about the clunkers Clean Air for Europe.

Lastly, look at it like this:

Today, the Cable News Network reported the Car Allowance Rebates System is partnering with the Center for Automotive Research on a study to be released at the 2009 North American International Auto Show about the clunkers Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

Which of the two is correct?

All of these acronyms have made recent automotive news, and almost all of them have a variety of meanings to different people. Do you see how someone might be confused? Granted, CNN may never be confused with some other acronym, but as communicators we need to be careful not to assume everyone knows what an acronym means. In my communication classes, I was taught to consider my audience - I never thought that would apply to every day conversations.

At the beginning of my internship Eisbrenner provided me with a glossary of important automotive abbreviations. I’ve referred to it often over the past few weeks, and have begun to add to the list.

I’m finally becoming bilingual, though this isn’t the language I thought I’d learn.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a funny post, Jared. As I began to read, I was about to come over and correct you on your use of 'CAFE'...I was thinking, 'what the hell is he talking about?' I remember that feeling, and am happy you are becoming fluent in our language!

10/02/2009 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home