December 07, 2007

Trying to Hit the Big Time

As you may know from my previous posts, I will be graduating in a very short time (one week from Sunday) with my B.S. in Public Relations from good ole EMU. Because PR at EMU is part of the Communication and Theatre Arts Department, I've gotten to know quite a few theatre majors and had lunch with one of them earlier this week at my favorite campus area restaurant, The Tower Inn. (I highly recommend their pina coladas - best I've ever had).

My friend, Rob, told me how nervous he was about his prospects for finding work in the acting world after graduation. Like any other field, there's no gaurantee that a degree will get him the job. He faces an endless slew of auditions. I told him that I can relate.

With graduation right around the corner, I've been job hunting and interviewing like a madwoman. Knowing what employers are looking for in a full time employee is hard. Luckily, I found a great resource on The Detroit News Web site, Michigan Career Builder . It offers a host of tips and information to help you get through all the aspects of getting a job, from resumes, to interviews, to references. For instance, did you know that hiring managers will often ask double layered questions in an interview to test how carefully you pay attention to what they're saying?

This afternoon I am interviewing for a full time position here at Eisbrenner with our firm president, Tom. Hopefully I'll soon be hitting the big time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home