July 06, 2006

They Were Right, Just Do It.

Just Do It.

Yes, that's Nike's slogan. People see the swoosh and think, "Just Do It." I also think of sports, sweat and soccer. I think of Michael Jordan circa mid 90's and that squeaky sound shoes make when players shuffle around on the court.

Trust me, I am going somewhere with this.

Until now, I don't think I've ever thought of applying the phrase to something so simple as writing. It's probably the best advice I've ever gotten from any of my professors: Just write. I'm pretty sure that I've overcome my initial challenges with writing press releases, bios and such at Eisbrenner. The problem I've run into right now, and in the past few weeks, has been knowing where to begin.

We all know that staring at a blank computer screen will not help you write about the benefits of a new technology. It will not make journalists call you, wanting to know more, it just won't. Instead, I've taken what I call the "Just Do It" approach. Organize your facts, make sure you have the basic information, and put pen to paper...or in this case, fingers to keyboard. I've found that although this challenge has not ceased to exist, its become a whole lot easier because I continue to work at it. Who knew some west coast slogan could inspire interns everywhere?
I should end this entry by explaining this approach is just the beginning of the writing process. I usually print what I've written out, and take a red pen to it. Like my professors used to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home