June 27, 2006

Expedition Eisbrenner?

When you combine a St. Bernard, a Swiss yodeler, snowshoes, snowmobiles and snow, what do you get? Expedition Eisbrenner, the theme for Eisbrenner Public Relations' annual Hacks & Flacks Golf Invitational. I'm pretty sure this is the only firm that can combine golf and mountain climbing, and not only manage to make it look cool, but make it a memorable event.

The Hacks & Flacks Golf Invitational is the firm's way of showing clients that we value our relationship with them. What do relationships have to do with public relations? Everything. Spending time with the people you work for is the equivalent of getting a handwritten letter in the mail: it's rarely done, and shows you really care.

Although I didn't play golf (and trust me, that's a good thing), the day was one long learning experience.

As a neophyte at networking, my biggest challenge was talking. I know, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but as a student, it's something I'm still getting used to. Because I was assigned to sit at hole #8, I had the opportunity to practice my conversation skills. Newsflash: The 'art' of talking can feel a little intimidating at first. However, the more I talked, the easier it became.

At the outing I learned how to conquer what I call situational challenges. As an intern, being uncomfortable in a new environment is a part of the game. It has taught me to adapt, which is a necessary skill in any communication field.

Since I've been here, I've learned to challenge myself. So, when dinner came around, and conversation was my challenge du jour, I sat at a table with people I didn't know. After the initial shock and slight awkwardness, I was talking, having a good time and (surprisingly) not freaking out.
I have to say, one of the nicest parts of yesterday was realizing how fortunate I am to be interning here. On more than one occasion, people were constantly telling me how great Eisbrenner is. One person said it best: "There's no better company to work for or to learn from." He was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home