March 02, 2006

Top 10 reasons continued

I've returned with the top three things that I've learned during my time so far at Eisbrenner...
drumroll....

3. Know Yourself

If you've ever read any how to study book while in highschool or college (or late in elementary if you were a supernerd like me) there's always a chapter on what time to study. The authors of those books usually suggest that you find your the time when you are most alert, coherent and focused might be the single most important aspect or organizing your work life. Intern of full-time employee, its best to learn early when you are most productive. For me, its from morning to early afternoon. This is the time when I can focus in and get to cracking on the majority of my work, this is also the time when I have my best ideas. Point blank, from 8am to 2, I am my most inspired self. Because I know this, I plan to do my hardest most involved work first thing in the morning rather than right after I hit that mid-afternoon slump. For that slump, I am well prepared, this is the time when I do things that are easier (filing, sorting...Things like that) . The point is to know your best time to work and utilize it. As for times when you might be slightly less sharp, prepare for those too. If you don't, they'll smack you when you aren't looking.

2. And then don't take yourself too seriously

In a new environment, you are bound to be nervous. However, you got past the interview, so there's gotta be something good about you right? Take that into consideration when you are beating yourself up. Take a deep breath and remember this is a learning experience. An internship is a careful balance of being ambitious and taking your work seriously, and remembering not to take yourself too seriously. Have faith in the work you can do, set goals and work hard to achieve those goals. You'll be on your way in no time. With that said, remember that an internship provides much less value if you don't have goals. So set them.


1.
Public Relations is a living, breathing and sometimes unstable creature.

My favorite quote suprisingly relates to PR:
"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet" - Emily Dickinson
It definitely relates to the world of public relations. The fact that it is never the same is probably why I am so in love with this profession. The markets, our society's interests and the newness of it all are things that contribute to the constant movement of our industry. It helps to remember this when things go wrong or not as you planned. Things will always change, it is your job as a pr professional to be prepared. An opportunity might never come again, or it might be a link to your future, either way make sure that you give it all you've got.

what's up next?? Tips for dealing with the media from Birmingham Eccentric Editor Greg Kowalski.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home