November 11, 2005

Going to the Dogs...

Well today is Friday, which means bagels and dogs (yes actual barking dogs, not hot dogs). Yeah I know that’s kind of a weird combination, but in PR anything can happen. Before I continue, I should probably explain the dog thing. Here at Eisbrenner people actually bring their dogs to work on Fridays! It’s a definite relief and change of pace from the daily grind. Today Charlie, a Shitz-Zu is here to visit us, lets hope he is office trained. Last week we had two other dogs come to see us, and they got right to work on PR tasks, welcome to the team.

These past two weeks have been an amazing learning experience for me. I have been actively involved in researching and creating a memo regarding advertising recommendations for one of our clients. It has been a very involved project, which has included lots of research on advertising prices, deciding what publications and issues to advertise in, and editing the memo numerous times. One thing I never realized was the sheer amount of edits that go into a project. I was always used to turning in an assignment to my teacher that maybe a few classmates looked over and I was done with it. Here everyone’s memos, letters, and projects are edited by several different people and can involve multiple changes. The important thing to remember is not to get discouraged by edits, as they only make your work stronger.

My Thanksgiving card project is nearing completion. Our cards finally arrived on my desk and they looked amazing. Our photo and text options we decided on were very fitting for the holiday season. After printing 300 or so labels and stuffing the envelopes they are on their merry way to all the recipients. This project was a point of pride for me, as I was a part of every aspect from planning to mailing. This project also made me realize just how close the holidays are. Thanksgiving is in two weeks!

Another project I have been working on is my first press release. Of course I have composed tons of releases in school, but this is my first professional one that will be seen by the public. Eisbrenner’s chairman and CEO, Ray Eisbrenner, was inducted into the Public Relations Society Hall of Fame yesterday (congrats Ray). I was in charge of writing the release and I think it went well. I still cannot believe how much I have learned in the short time I have been here, I am so lucky. I cannot wait to see what the next half of my internship will reveal for me. By the way feel free to comment or ask any questions you might have on this blog. It would be really nice to talk to someone other than myself for once (not that I talk to myself regularly or anything). Check back next week for more updates from Eisbrenner Central =)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,

I am currently an intern for a public relations department in Southfield. Your blog for Eisbrenner Public Relations has been very interesting to read. Do you know if Eisbrenner will be having any internships or job openings in the upcoming months? Also, are there a set number of interns Eisbrenner has per semester?

Thanks for your time.

11/17/2005 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for getting back with me so soon..I am currently an intern with the Public Relations Department with WXYZ Channel 7 in Southfield. I have been working on numerous projects at Channel 7, all of which have kept me busy. My favorite project is a newsletter that they publish every season. By working on this newsletter I am able to meet the directors of each department. It is a great way to network. I currently go to University of Michigan -Dearborn, majoring in Communications (PR)and Criminal Justice.

11/22/2005 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home